Saturday, December 17, 2005

Our Girls Don’t Study

Call from Bharatiya Mahila Vidyalaya
I received a call from one retired teacher of Bharatiya Mahila Vidyalaya. She happen to attend one of my workshops in Vivekananda Kendra about motivation. She requested me to conduct one workshop for her students in Bharatiya Mahila Vidyalaya. When I asked what message they want to pass on to the students, she described the girls as weak in studies. We want then to study hard and give us results, she said.

Situation of students
I came to know after discussion with the principal that the students are from poor families. Most of the parents are workers and lower middle class people who have to rush for work early in the morning and have no time to ask children to study or monitor their studies. There is no atmosphere for them to study.

Efforts and feelings of Teachers
She said with empathy for her students that they try hard to make all the girls study and pass the matriculation board exam. But they doubt about what the girls will do once they leave the school premises.

Challenge for me
Now they asked me to do something. Tell something in such a way to the girls that they feel like study.

This was the background for my workshop in Bharatiya Mahila Vidyalaya, on Saturday 3rd December 2005

Regards

Tushar, Nagpur

No comments: